Saturday, September 6, 2014


Scientific development in Windows : Setting Up

Yes ! reluctantly I have been fiddling with Windows for scientific development. I am presently involved in a project, in collaboration with some big guys (in terms of coding). Windows happens to used by one of the developers, although the parallel jobs are submitted on Scientific Linux clusters. So, I thought why not try it out. phew.

There are two ways to go about this, one the paid way and two the free way ! Paid ways are many which include the use of Microsoft Visual Studio with Intel Visual FORTRAN and many others out there.

However, there are other ways to go about this in the open-source (free) community. I have used only one of them, so feel free to throw-in your ideas/experience as well. As, I have been used to the command-line and makefile in Linux, I am comfortable in working with some transition between Linux & Windows.

For the compilers, I am using Cygwin (takes a lot of time & space, nearly 20gigs to install - I left it for a full night to install, also make sure to include the compilers, kde-openbox, parallel compilers and any libraries / applications you might need like gnuplot, vim, etc) but there are other alternatives as well. It is to be noted that Cygwin has MPI support as well, and I am using eclipse as an editor and I don't want to be bothered at the moment to setup eclipse properly and use Cygwin compilers directly.

Well, that's it for some start !

0 comments:

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!